The Automation & Mechatronics Engineer will work within a multi-disciplinary team and contribute towards our goal to design and operate fully automated insect farming facilities. At the core of the facility is our in-house developed vertical farming system which contains thousands of insect crates. The automation of the storage & retrieval, feeding, harvesting, processing & cleaning of these crates within a closed loop system will be the main engineering challenge you aim to solve.
- Create detailed road-map towards full automation of our insect farming processes
- Optimising the physical flows of insect crates and production batches within the vertical farming system
- Run simulations of different scenarios in a simulation software (virtual facility), compare results, identify and implement the optimal solution.
- Program new automated processes and components into our automation software, including synchronising robotic systems with electronic components and modules, such as sensors and controllers
- Assist in the roll-out of automation solutions in our facilities closely coordinating with the teams on the ground
- Develop efficient and practical standards of operations
- Identify new opportunities for automation within the production process
- Design new or optimise existing automation equipment or processes
- Simulate and test processes or equipment to ensure they function as desired
- Develop and maintain clear and accurate documentation of automation equipment or processes
- Staff training where necessary – typically after implementing new processes or equipment, or making changes to existing ones
- Troubleshooting automated processes or equipment when errors occur
- Support existing automation technology with component and process upgrades
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Mechatronics, Computer Science, Mechanical, Electrical or other engineering related field
- Experience with warehouse automation and operations
- Python/ReactJS/C#/MySQL are highly preferred (experience with unix is a bonus)
- Familiarity with software development tools such as Gitlab, preferred coding IDEs, Linux Systems, Unity, AWS
- Experience with testing and validating Software and Hardware
- Mathematical skills including optimization, statistics, simulation and modeling, and data mining (MySQL)
- Good English and Chinese-Mandarin preferred
- Experience with Machine Learning Algorithms (preferred)
- Effective Communicator, able to describe work to technical and non-technical colleagues
- High level thinker capable of seeing how different systems and processes interact
- Ability to work in a fun but hard-working team-based start-up environment
- Self-starter who is able to satisfy their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision.
- Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills.
- Highly motivated, results oriented, with a high commitment level.