FlyFarm is an agri-tech start-up with operations in Hong Kong and Australia – active in the fast growing sustainable alternative protein space and we are currently looking for a highly talented and ambitious engineer to join our team in Hong Kong – to help design automated farming technologies. If you are an imaginative engineer with a strong sense of drive who loves solving engineering challenges and want to join a fast growing start-up – then this opportunity is for you.
FlyFarm is developing processes and technology to power high-tech insect breeding facilities. Our goal is to upcycle food production by-products into high grade insect protein and oil for use in animal feeds and pet food (displacing unsustainable fish meal caught in the oceans). Combining Robotics, IoT and cloud technologies, FlyFarm is working hard to meet the challenges of developing a network of highly automated farms across APAC.
The Machine Design and Automation Engineer works in a multidisciplinary tech team that drives the automation and designs the robotics and conveying systems for our insect farming production processes. We are looking for a passionate and hands-on person with a can-do attitude who is excited by the prospect of taking the automation and mechanical processes of a high tech insect farm to the next level.
- Design and implement automated systems for use in our vertical insect farms
- Experience troubleshooting equipment and performing system tests
- Create and change drawings for new and existing machines and special design requests using computer-aided design technology
- Be involved in prototyping machine concepts with the rest of the tech team
- Assist in preparing bill-of-materials for new and changed designs
- Maintain drawing files (CAD, PDF and other documentation).
- Oversee the transition from design into production, including any necessary testing and training required for implementing new or changed designs.
- Work with external parts suppliers and outsourced manufacturers to specify and successfully deliver a project on-time, on-budget, and satisfy performance measurements.
- Evaluate material selection, cost analysis, and vendors as required. Review the selection and specification of purchased component parts for basic systems.
- Documentation prior to shipment to our operating facilities, including preventative maintenance, safety, operational procedures, maintenance manual, and prints and purchased items lists.
- Based on feedback from operations teams, evaluate existing processes, equipment and technologies on their performance and recommend areas for improvement
- Participate in daily stand-ups and planning meetings, report on project activities, status, and issues on a periodic basis
- Degree in mechanical, mechatronic, electrical engineering, or a relevant technical field
- Experience completing the full machine design process, from prototyping to market product. Experience with industrial design is a plus
- CAD software skills (Solidworks, Fusion, Autocad Inventor, or Similar)
- Good English and Chinese-Mandarin preferred
- Able to travel occasionally to visit partner factories in China or our own production entities
- Ability to use experimentation to develop basic process knowledge, design prototype test systems, and perform proof of principle testing to validate design approach.
- Being skilled in embedded device programming (ESP-32, Arduino, etc) is a plus
- High level thinker capable of seeing how different systems and processes interact
- Ability to work in a fun but hard-working team-based start-up environment
- Self-starter who is able to satisfy their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision.
- Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills.
- Highly motivated, results oriented, with a high commitment level.